Thursday, December 15, 2011

Revenge of the Sith Novelization (By Matthew Stover) Review


The turning point of the whole saga is at hand...
I honestly don't know how to describe this book in a few words. If I am asked to, I will just use Matthew Stover's words as I memorized them: This is a story of love and loss, brotherhood and betrayal, courage and sacrifice, and the death of dreams. It is a story of an end of an age.

Revenge of the Sith is not my favorite Star Wars movie. However, this book is definitely one of my favorite books in the whole Star Wars saga. No. Not one of my favorites. The favorite- not only in Star Wars, but every single book I have ever read before. This book describes the movie even better than I ever think is possible.

While I am sorry that the story needed to turn out this way, I understand that everything happens according to the will of the Force. This book made me understand Star Wars even deeper in another way. While the plot of the book is same as the movie, this book makes it seem thicker and darker. One notable thing in the book is how it describes the emotions inside Anakin Skywalker. The "dragon" within him makes the story even more interesting. This story also made me view Anakin's fall in a different way. It made me understand better why love leads to the dark side. One man can only take do much before he breaks. And Palpatine keeps adding on and on, which eventually lead to what he wanted- a new fearsome Sith lord: Darth Vader.

What I like best is the way Stover described the emotions of the characters as well as the background stories. It shows the public opinion of the Jedi and way each character feels. It also shows the founders of the Rebels alliance and how they feel about Palpatine's thirst for power.

Sure, the book has its flaws such as the need to remove the scene in Kashyyyk to pace the story. But however, some deleted scenes had been added to my pleasant surprise when I read the book. The one that shows Padme and Anakin together discussing their baby shows how much Anakin loves his family, so the scene helps make Anakin's path to the dark side shorter.

This book uses words that add to the suspense of the story and kept me turning the pages without ever thinking that it might be boring. One I like is, "This gift is the edge of a knife that has already cut their past from their future." The great choice of words and the sentence fluency made me read it as if I am listening to music. 

I noticed that other EU publications are also referenced such as Star Wars: Republic (comic), Star Wars: the Clone Wars animated series, The Approaching Storm, Shatterpoint, The Cestus Deception, and Yoda: Dark Rendezvous. Labyrinth of Evil was heavily used for reference as well.

I actually shed a tear after I read the last sentence, which hints that everything will be all right even though the galaxy was doomed to be in the dark. Love is more than a candle. Love can ignite the stars.

So it will be. The fallen Chosen One will rise once again.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome review of an amazing novel! Makes me want to read the book again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!!! That means a lot to me :D I wanted to read the book again every day... and so I do :)

    ReplyDelete