Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Dawn and Dusk of the Dark

*** Nothing very special for this one... it just sets the stage for the story :/

Chapter 3

"A piercing scream echoed through the eerie silence. Startled, I opened my eyes and looked out of my small cell wildly. People all around me just threw dirty looks to the right of me. Oh. It turned out to be just another prisoner nearby having a nightmare. This horrible place was never short of it."

That was yesterday. My first day I recorded, the day some weird stuff started happening. I guess I shouldn't get ahead of myself and write down things in order, so here I go.

This day started the same way yesterday did. Except for a few changes. So I'm writing it all down again with the changes here.

A piercing scream echoed through the eerie silence. Startled, I opened my eyes and looked out of my small cell wildly. People all around me just threw dirty looks to the STRAIGHT AT me. Oh. It turned out to be just another prisoner nearby having a nightmare. This horrible place was never short of it. AND THAT PRISONER IS ME.

Shoot. I just made some enemies.

I was dreaming about this thing- but it didn't make any sense. Kalifa and I were running through a narrow corridor and there were Imperial guards behind us. I remembered my heart thumping wildly and a blaster bolt hitting the wall just where I was a second ago.

"After this run, there's someone I'd like you to meet. She-," I heard Kalifa saying calmly through the chase. I couldn't remember what happened next. But I guess it didn't really matter because the next moment or so another blaster fire came, but this one grazed Kalifa in the shoulder. I screamed. That was the scream everyone heard. Oops.

I shook myslef back to reality and glanced at Kalifa again. She slept through the countless screams around us all night, but was shaken awake by mines. Instead of throwing me a dirty look, though, she grinned and said, "Good morning. For a moment I thought that was the breakfast bell."

I ignored the curious glances around me. "Hi. You wouldn't find it a good morning soon. I'm not even sure this is morning. I think it's still last night. Let's get sleep while we can," I added, giving her a guilty look.

By the expression on her face, it seemed that, as usual, she knew what I was thinking about. But she nodded and went back to sleep anyway. I can't. I stared at the durasteel ceiling for the rest of the night, replaying the dream in my head.

I longed for morning to come so I get my mind off the dream by doing some hard labor. For the first time in my life, I actually looked forward to it. Besides, the nights were always the worst. And the longest, since there's no way for a good sleep to come.

"Kaayla," a hoarse wisper called

I heard my name being called, but I thought it was a voice in my head. After several times, though, I got up to see who it was. It was Eroda. Remember her? She works with Ward and me at the platform. She's just the next cell from me.

"What?" I hissed back.

"Wassup with the togruta?"

"Kalifa. Her name is Kalifa."

"Whatever. Is she gonna join us working at the platform? We could use some help since your mom's... death." Her voice cracked at the end of the sentence, as mines surely would. She loves her as much as Ward and I do.

"I'm not sure. I guess so. And she's built for action, too. Have you've seen her? She told me she was fighting with the Republic at the Clone Wars, if you paid attention to my mom when she gave us some history. She-"

I couldn't continue. There was a lump in my throat. My mom's death was still painful. It, if possible, was intensified with the knowledge that I was helpless with it.

I tamped down my memories as it rose up. It wouldn't do me any good to grieve. My mom wouldn't want me to anyway. I swallowed the lump in my throat, but it only made my neck sore because I had no water. I saw Eroda doing the same.

Ward joined the conversation and lightened things up a little. "If that Togruta's a high military officer, maybe we have a chance to break out with her."

"She is. But we're on Raxus Prime."

"Oh."

Of all the words in his vocabulary, I don't think I'll rate this "oh" as very optimistic.

"But we still have hope," he said, breaking the silence.

I tamped down the memory of my mother's quote as said, "Yeah. Sure. We can sneak out of these bars, avoid the surveillance devices, climb over the electric charged wall, and somehow manage to escape the trash planet."

"Exactly," Eroda said with a strained smile, "Or Kalifa's forces can come crashing in and break us out."

"Oh," Ward and I said. I wouldn't rate that as very high either. But still, there's a chance, right?

We went through the conversation of Kalifa and breaking out, which to me was very odd since I never gave a thought about escaping. My life is always the struggle to survive in this prison- which I always thought would be the long road I will walk on forever. As I said before, it disappears into the darkness. I can't see after that.

"Walk on the road, but beware. Someday it might end. No, it will end. But at the end of the path, there is another path. Who knows where it might lead to. Expect the unexpected. Who knows what the future may hold."

As much as memories like these are painful, yet comforting. It's incomprehensible. I'll try my best to put it simply: I miss my mom so much, but the memories come in handy sometimes.

"Let's stop talking, okay? Tomorrow's another long day," I heard Eroda say.

A few minutes later, I lay on the cold floor, waiting desperately for morning to come. I counted the seconds off in my head, but I don't have a clock. As agonizingly slow as this was, come it did.

Everyone stood up, Kalifa looking as fresh as ever. And we headed out for the day.

4 comments:

  1. wow, this is so awesome. keep up the good work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome chapter! You are a very good writer. Looking forward to the next chapter! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That means alot to me, thanks :)
      Really means alot. I know that at least someone wants to see my stories :D

      Delete