Monday, February 27, 2012

Massacre Review



So, picking up the ride from season three, I got on the roller coaster, knowing it would be great. But "great" is a huge understatement. Just when I thought it couldn't get any better when I saw The Box, it just did. I know, I know, I say that for every episode, but this one stood out. And I say that for every episode too... but well, you get the idea. This is one of my best episodes in the season. Dark, spell binding, fast, breathtaking, (I could go on forever to describe it) this is a dark roller coaster that twists and turns like a rancor.

The thing that stood out to me the most was... how dark it was. The whole saga centers around the battle between the "light" and "dark" side, but this one is dark against dark and evil against evil. And another thing is that Star Wars rarely ever has magic, yet this one is darkly magical. Even the colors show it all. No yellow light or anything, just the color of blood and green to stand out of the background.

I feel really sorry for Ventress. First she had no support of the nightsisters when she was really young, then she suffered the death of her master, then her sith master abandoned her, then she was betrayed by Savage, then she lost her clan forever. I wasn't surprised she spiraled down the dark side... but what Padme said about Vader was true here too. There was still good in her. I'm not a fan of her or anything, but then she is so... lost. Just when everything seemed okay it all turned out another way. Hey, that rhymes.

On the other hand, I laughed at Dooku's chicken pox. There. I said it. I laughed. I laughed so hard that tears came welling up in my eyes and I threw around just like Dooku did. He deserved it. Jeez... he can't leave her alone. But at least he had enough wit to go contact Grevious, though I can't imagine how he managed to do that. And Talzin coming out of him gave me goosebumps. He wasn't over used, which was awesome. I love it when he begged Grevious for help. I had to remind myself that a Jedi does not take satisfaction in those things.

Grevious, oh, that slave. Though his lightsabers were flashy in the dark environment. Hehe... he reminded me of Starkiller. He served without question, killed without remorse, and lost his heart without warning to beautiful Imperial fighter pilot Juno Eclipse, never suspecting that he was just a tool in the schemes of his masters—until it was too late to escape their lethal betrayal. Well, he didn't loose his heart because he had none, except for that pathetic one Obi-Wan pulled out in ROTS. And their betrayal... the sith wanted him dead later on anyway.

Now looking at the Nightsisters, I don't see them that evil. They were loyal to one another even facing death. They had been in exile, killed only in defense, and even though their magic is dark, they didn't do anything evil. Revenge is something everyone is vulnerable to, and I can't say they're bad to take it. If there needs to be a good guy in this episode, it would be them, I guess.

The undead totally creeped me out. My eyeballs are glued to the screen and I can't tear it out. But still... yikes. Even when they came the tide of the battle turned in the Nightsister's favor. And... turned it back when they dropped down. The mother of them all was surprisingly killed, but then I can't say I'm surprised of Mother Talzin's powers. This all reminded me of Death Troopers, a novel set in the times of the Empire, which kept me awake at night for so long.

I knew Ventress would win Grevious and he would betray her like a coward he was. Though they aren't sith, Shaak Ti's last words echoed through my mind, "The sith always betray one another... But I'm sure you'll learnt that soon enough."

Somehow I wish the Jedi were here... but this is not meant to be. The episode is meant to be dark, and the Jedi would bring light to it. That's most likely unnecessary and maybe even brings the episode down. But still I wish they were here.

Tightly-plotted with so much action, I thought there was going to be a break apart from the dark humor. But alas, there was none. I guess I have to do with that, though I'd very much like a break to calm my heart (which, by the way, is still beating very fast now like I just ran a mile).

All in all, I can't wait for the next episode, though I know it won't be dark like this anymore and I know I can't possibly enjoy it as much as this one (I thought that at The Box and I was wrong, so I'm hoping I'm wrong here too), but I';m keeping my hopes up. I'm giving the episode 9.5/10, 0.5 taken off for making my heart beat so fast I thought a heart attack was coming (though that was necessary). Of course, I rarely gave full score (and my heart is still beating too fast for my liking). So until next time, May the Force be with you!

Just for the record, my heart is still thudding.

13 comments:

  1. You are the first person I have found that actually agreed that this is an awesome episode! Excellent review! I have been looking forward to this episode for a long time. I loved every minute of this! :D

    -James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found Chris's! He liked it too! :D I'm glad you liked it :) Thanks

      Delete
  2. Isn't Chris' blog "Sercets of the Force" or "Star Wars Underworld"? Or is it something else? I still can't stop thinking about the awesomeness of this episode! :D

    -James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's secrets of the force :) He's co-owner of the Star Wars underworld, I guess :) That blog is nice, he's so pro

      Delete
  3. Glad you enjoyed the episode :). It wasn't really my thing but I enjoyed getting to see a more vulnerable side of Ventress and it definitely sets the stage for the rest of the arc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree :) I respect ur opinion about it as well as other Christians :D

      Delete
    2. Oh, it didn't bother me as a Christian(I'm liberal and I don't have a problem with magic). I just didn't find the episode that interesting for some reason.

      Delete
    3. Oh okay :) I'm Bhuddist. I don't have a problem with it too but it's not really my thing. Though this one stood out to me.

      Delete
    4. That's cool :) I have some friends who are half Thai and their mother used to be Buddist. And I'm very glad you enjoyed the episode :)

      Delete
    5. Thanks :) That's awesome! I have yet to find another person from Thailand that likes star wars! I only liked it because I spent most of my years outside Thailand traveling through the world!

      Delete
    6. You're welcome :) That's awesome that you got to travel the world; there are so many places I'd like to visit.

      Delete
  4. i'm offically creeped out. it was very good. it's getting creeper and creeper. i don't know if ventress can pull this one off. zombies aren't my thing, either. :)

    ReplyDelete