Sunday, April 29, 2012

Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter by Micheal Reaves REVIEW



To start with, this is a great story, well done. With this book, Michael Reaves got on my favorite authors list. Usually having "Star Wars" on the cover of a book would make me want to read it, but this one is a true Star Wars book. Engrossing from the start, it reminded me of how I read The Hunger Games. There was everything you could possibly want in a story- action, humor, mystery, including a mild romantic attraction.

Darth Sidious, the lord of the Sith, took his first step to bring the Republic to its knees. Years of waiting in shadows did not make him oblivious to the fact that there was a traitor. His apprentice Darth Maul was sent to hunt him down and all those who came in contact with the betrayer.

The book was quick to engage readers in, and it balances emotions and actions well. It took strange turns that got me hanging and wanting more. I really liked the setting in the underworld of Coruscant. The Cthons and the Taozin they faced was really cool, and the way they handled it was even more so. I liked the continual references to the Jedi Code, which shows how much it is in Darsha. It showed me who the Jedi are in a deeper meaning as well, though I memorized the Jedi Code a long time ago. I loved the part where Hath wets himself from fear. I also loved reading about characters that will show up in other books, so there would be a background for them when I read Coruscant Nights (I already read Medstar)

For a change, there was an ordinary guy named Lorn Pavan, not somebody who is a famous person. This gives us a chance to see how a nobody fares against something extraordinary. He has the courage, which I admired, and some strings of luck that got him that way. He had a reason to hate the Jedi (unlike Traviss's characters), and then discovered at the end that they weren't only what he think they are. I'm glad he finally accepted many things in the end. his droid, I-Five was one of a kind and I liked his personality so much. Darsha, who had a shot of attraction for Pavan in the adventure, turned out to be a great Padawan and she would have been a worthy Jedi Knight. She turned out to be one of my favorite Jedi- her understanding of the Force, her personality, etc. Maul's character showed better here- with a sense of honor, unwavering loyalty for his master, and deadly skills honed since his childhood.

There were few things I didn't like, but I would only recognize it if I looked hard. Maul took a bit too long to find them for an expert Sith, and Darsha's master should have sensed her through the Force. There needs to be more of Maul.

Overall, I love the book so much and I recommend it for everyone, especially if you want to understand TPM better. Every book has its flaws, and I can hardly find one for this. I can't wait to read the next one.

6 comments:

  1. I loved this book! =) There's another great book to fully understand TPM; it's Cloak of Deception, by James Luceno. I think it goes before Shadow Hunter in the SW books chronology, and I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, I liked that one too :D Read it awhile ago, but I didn't understand star wars like I do now

      Delete
  2. Great review! I loved this book!!! :D I liked it for all the reasons you mentioned in your review and I agree, the characters, setting, and plot are awesome. :) It's definitely one of my favorite Star Wars books :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this book, but after seeing so many positive reviews, I might just pick it (that is, if it's actually still available in my country).

    You like I-Five? I like him, too! He's my favorite droid in Star Wars. If you want more of his adventures, you should read the MedStar duology or the Coruscant Nights trilogy. Or, have you read them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should read it! No, you don't need to buy it. You can find it online for free. That's what I did.

      I love him! R2 is my favorite droid though :P I have already read them.

      Delete