Monday, October 8, 2012

To be a fan

I need to get my feelings out.

There are many things that peeve me out when it comes to fandoms.

My brother keeps saying "Why don't you use the Force to do...". My "friend" keeps saying "I h*te Star Wars" (Can't use the two words in the same sentence). A person online said "Legolas is [something here] and [something here]."

My reaction: ... -_-

The person online is a Lord of the Rings fan, and he doesn't like Legolas and takes it all out. Is he a true fan?

I guess he may like LOTR, but he is never going to be a true fan until he realizes that he needs to accept other people's opinions who love LOTR as well and stop bashing them.

There's many meanings for being a fan. But for me, I simply accept anyone who truly love their fandom. That's it. It's not about knowing everything about it, or having everything with its name. That's just something to the side. To be a fan, you respect another fan. You're passionate about your fandom. You're naturally annoyed that someone doesn't like your fandom, but you stick with it no matter what happens.

Summed up, you accept your fandom just the way it is. That includes its fans. Like when you love someone, you love that person just the way (s)he is.

Sure, everyone can have their own opinions about something. But taking it all out like that... it's just wrong. We need to accept it, since it's part of being a fan, but the person shouldn't do it in the first place. Stay strong.

So... beware. There are fake fans out there, but true fans will accept other true fans, because we are all one. We are a family tied together by that one thing we're passionate about.

There is no passion, there is serenity.

But I can't deny that there are things I'm passionate about. Mace Windu can't deny that he's passionate about the republic.

I look up to my fandoms. Everything in there taught me about life as much as my own experience. Without them, I don't know who I'm going to be. It's going to be like a dementor sucked out my soul and left my body as an empty shell. It's more than just inspiring; it's everything we are. It brings a smile to your face everyday, and not just a simple smile. That smile shows happiness, and how proud I am to stay in that fandom.

There will be times where loyalties are tested. Somedays it is just dark and it seemed like nobody cares, and you just get on with your life like a robot with nothing worth living. But there are people who cares. I care. Your family should care. Your friends. Life is worth living, no matter how much it seems otherwise. You are here so that you experience the joy and the pain, acknowledge them, and make this world a better place so people to come can feel the joy. If we are strong on the inside, everything that annoys us on the outside will never sum up to our love for what we truly believe in. We can't have a little rain without a rainbow.

Remember that there will always be people worse off than you are. When you're depressed over the amount of homework you have (by the way, I must really be getting to mines), there are people with no dinner to eat. They would desperately want your life with its depressions that are minor to them.

Now, I realize I'm not just talking about fandoms. This is... religion, convictions, everything that makes us who we are.

So... an advice from your blogger: just hang in there. And wing it. And may the Force be ever in your favor.

10 comments:

  1. Really good post! I find it annoying when everybody gets really hateful about certain characters and such. It really annoys me to see people act like that. I also liked what you mentioned about how it doesn't matter how much you know about the fandom. I find that many people I know judge other fans by how much they know about the fandom. That really bugs me since it really doesn't matter how much you know about the fandom so long as you really like it. That's just my thought. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) I'm glad to know I'm not alone. Knowledge about the fandom is important, but not as important as loving it :)

      Delete
  2. I LOVED this! Well said! my sister calls herself a Star Wars fan yet she teases me none stop about how much I love Star Wars. umm, what? And when people say "I'm a bigger fan then you because I have more stuff then you." But that's not what being a fan is.
    Thank you! Very good post:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My bigger brother does the same thing for LOTR. Yeah, being a fan is about loving it, not about how much stuff or knowledge you have- that's the icing on the cake.

      Delete
  3. This post is so right! I really like what you said about accepting other people and about how much fandoms are to us. They definitely mean a lot to me and changed my life for the better in multiple ways. And the reminder to stay strong when it seems no one cares is helpful - I will have to keep this post in mind. :) Awesome post Solace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I have to use it as a reminder to myself too. When I'm feeling down, I actually feel better to the point of smiling just thinking of my fandoms :D

      Delete
  4. *claps* you are so awesome for writing this post. it explains so much for the real star wars fans and etc.... i dislike people who say they love star wars but have yet to see it. so i applaud you. and guess wht? i'm back, solace. i'm back! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! :) I've missed you! I'm glad we agree :) Thanks :D

      Delete
  5. This post is just pure awesome!! SO what if we don't know every single detail about what we love, isn't the fact we love it enough!! Respect is a big thing!! And it goes a long way! Why do people have to be haters? This post is awesome Solace! And I am going to personally hunt down whoever said anything about Legolas! Mhahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! At least we can agree on that! :)
      Thankies... now I really have to write WATW

      Delete