Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Heroes of Olympus series by Rick Riordan REVIEW


I'm going to keep this review short and sweet, since the series is not over and I don't want it to feel like it is either. Warning: Possible spoilers ahead. Bigger Warning: Fangirl on the Loose ahead.

Okay... *clears throat*

I read the three books- the Lost Hero, Son of Neptune, and the Mark of Athena. Like the Percy Jackson Series, I read it everywhere, and the kindle is in my hands from the moment I wake up until the moment I sleep. I read it while eating, walking, and... you get the point. There's going to be the fourth one, House of Hades, coming out this year 2013... in October. 

My reaction?

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!

Why. Why? WHY??? My Gods, why in the name of Zeus, I have to wait so many more months just to read the next book? 

Oh, Rick. I love him, but I hate him. He introduced me to a whole new world, and a beautiful one, but he made me FEEL the agonizing torture for me to wait for the next book.


My human, civilized self: Well, I'd rather wait all these months and get a good book than wait a shorter time and make it a lousy book.

But still.


***SPOILER***There was the bitter ending of the Mark of Athena... It was so sweet I was bawling.


While most of my fandoms has a special "Always" word, this one should be "never".

“Percy, let me go,” she croaked. “You can’t pull me up.”
His face was white with effort. She could see in his eyes that he knew it was hopeless.
“Never,” he said.

Percy tightened his grip on Annabeth’s wrist. His face was gaunt, scraped and bloody, his hair dusted with cobwebs, but when he locked eyes with her, she thought he had never looked more handsome.
“We’re staying together,” he promised. “You’re not getting away from me. Never again.”
Only then did she understand what would happen. A one-way trip. A very hard fall.
“As long as we’re together,” she said.
She heard Nico and Hazel still screaming for help. She saw the sunlight far, far above—maybe the last sunlight she would ever see.
Then Percy let go of his tiny ledge, and together, holding hands, he and Annabeth fell into the endless darkness.  

So this is how I feel.


And then this.


And then this is my quest, as important as closing the Doors of Death. Okay, maybe not.

But Still...

Please?

Note to self: Calm down... they're alive... Rick said so...

Gods...

Excuse me, I need to jump out of a window. 

***SPOILER ENDS***

Okay, I should get civilized. The books were remarkable. Actually, no. EPIC doesn't cover it. There was action, humor, and a bit of cute romance. I had my own little lesson in Mythology, and I love the way Rick ties Greek into Roman into modern. The fate of the world hangs in balance with a couple of teenage kids who aren't exactly up for the task, even though they have special powers. I don't want to give away much, though, so I won't say a lot more. I should do a separate one for each.

For the flaws, I'd say the characters could be better developed, and they got through almost every problem. Come to think of it, it's a bit unreal but it still happened in the least expected way (like, if you read the book, when Mr. D showed up. If you didn't, never mind). No civilians dying at all is a bit unreal. WHERE'S PERCY'S PARENTS? He's in hell literally and they're not here!!! In fact, Percy isn't even in one of the books... *sniff*

The Lost Hero: I think this one may be my least favorite, since it changed so much from the Percy Jackson series that I needed time to adjust. My favorite character... Perseus... missing. He was never in the book. That's probably why I don't like it as much as the others (I still love it). I miss the old characters, but I got introduced to a bunch of new ones. In time I learnt to love them. Leo, the comic relief, especially stuck to me. Then there's Piper. And Annabeth is still there! 

Son of Neptune: Yay, Percy's back! Unfortunately, he doesn't know who he is. He doesn't know anything except for the name "Annabeth". So sweet! *cough*HERA!!!*cough* The quest is great, I loved seeing Roman stuff instead of Greek, but I miss Camp Half-Blood. This seems like it takes camp WAY too seriously, and at first I thought Greek Camp was hard.

Mark of Athena: This one broke my heart and got me depressed, though not necessarily in that order. It's probably the best, now that Percabeth is on again when they're reunited (So sweet... I was smiling like an idiot). As long as they're together, any challenge can be faced. All the twists and turns made me at the edge of my seat even more than the two previous books, and while every book taught me something new, this one is really special. To quote, "Being a hero doesn't mean you're invincible. It means that you're brave enough to stand up and do what is needed."

So this is me now.


I know this is not really a proper review, just fangirling and telling what I like, but...
PERCY'S SOOOOO CUTE!!! <3

For me to take it all in. So I'll leave it here. Perhaps one day I'll meet Rick and he'll give me an autograph.

(Padmé, you're making me too jealous)

On to the Krane Chronicles!!! Leave a comment below on the behalf on the gif above! :) May the Force be with you!

8 comments:

  1. Great review, I'm glad you enjoyed the first three books of the Heroes of Olympus series! :D I agree, The Lost Hero was my least favorite out of the books as well- I really liked it, but I missed Percy since, along with Annabeth, he's my favorite character in the series! :)
    I also can't wait for the next book! :D I loved the ending of The Mark of Athena, and I can't wait to see what happens next :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) Glad you agree. I'm still sobbing :D

      Delete
  2. Since I haven't read the books I skip over some of the spoiler parts, however your pictures are funny! :D

    -James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm glad you did, I don't want to spoil it for you :P Thanks! That's exactly how I feel, and I'm still not calmed down. I woke up saying whyyyyyyy.

      Delete
  3. This is the most accurate review ever. lol. I 100% agree to everything that was said.
    brb. dying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad you agree (: I'm dying too, lol. Brb.

      Delete