Friday, February 15, 2013

Amor Verus Numquam Moritur

True love never dies. In Latin.


I find the whole idea of love very interesting. Here's just some of my thoughts about it. 

In different stories, love means different things. But it's impossible to describe what love is. It's both a strength and a weakness. It gives you something to fight and live for, but it's also your Achilles' heel. It makes you human, but being human is vulnerable. One thing is undeniable, though...

Thank you, Aphrodite.

In Star Wars, Jedi aren't allowed to marry, or get attached. As Obi-Wan says, love is the path to the dark side. It's slower than hate, but it's sure to bring you down. The entire Star Wars story happens because of love. Love is powerful. Anakin loved Padmé and would give anything to save her. Look at what he gave, and he died anyway.

Likewise, Percy Jackson's fatal flaw was love for his friends, especially Annabeth. Unlike Anakin, however, he managed to save both his friends and the world, as Athena would say. 

In contrast, in Harry Potter is all about love giving us strength to move on, even in times of darkness and death. According to the prophecy, Harry 'has a power the dark lord knows not'. That power is love.  While Harry did not save every friend of his while saving the world, in the end, love triumphs over evil. 

In Lord of the Rings, Arwen, who could have lived an immortal life, died of a broken heart because of Aragorn's death. On the other side, Sam's love for Frodo saved the whole world. Which is more important? The answer is easy- Sam's love.

So, all in all, love has both a light and a dark side, as all things does. Love is like sharpening of a knife. Use it well, it will defend you and give you strength. Use it poorly, it would cut yourself. As Taylor Swift says, love is a ruthless game, unless you play it good and right.  

Let's look at this world today, not beyond in stories. Right here, right now, I don't know where the world would be without love. Taylor Swift also said that no matter what love throws at you, you need to believe in it.

Let's come to something of a compromise. 

On one side, love gives you strength. One the other, as Jace Wayland will put it, "To love is to destroy." I believe in both, and it's conflicting.

Love is more than a candle. Love can ignite the stars. But even stars burn out.

So where do I stand?

I think it's okay to love. Actually, I think we should all love. It gives us something to live for. But your duty needs to come first. Love, but always be on guard and prepare to be hurt, because nobody lives forever. I know that love means letting your guard down, but I still haven't figured that one out yet.

Memories are forever. The ones you love will always be with you. If you can accept that, then it's okay. And love isn't always just another person. It's totally great to love something like, say, Star Wars. Because the stories we love will always be with us. It's great to love ourselves, and it's great to love our environment. As Anakin says, "Compassion, which I would define as unconditional love, is a central to a Jedi's life". And I truly believe that.

So... love, but don't be attached unless you have the strength let go. 

But, FYI, I'm still not getting a boyfriend. Except it's Legolas, whose thousands of years older than me. I hope his elf eyes only see me! Hehe.

So, I hope you enjoy this post, I hope it got you thinking, and I hope I get to see your comments below. May the Force be with you!

6 comments:

  1. I like seeing your persepctive on love and you nailed it as far as I'm concerned when you said "Love, but don't be attached unless you have the strenght to let go". A selfish, clutching love is not real love at all. Interesting post!

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! One thing I'm concerned about it love is also never letting go. I don't know exactly what to think of that yet. Sometimes it does turn out well, like how Percy didn't let Annabeth fall alone into Tatarus, even though it may be the end of both of them instead of only Annabeth. Percy would never live well again if he didn't though. I guess that's why he should let go. Still, I think he shouldn't. Oh. Here I go again.

      Delete
  2. Love is definately important...although I don't really like romance much...
    And yeah, I'm single too, but aht gives me more time to read and obssess over fandoms....and besides, I'm waiting for the Doctor :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, me too!!! I'm not really into romance books, but I do find the whole concept interesting since it changes the course of almost every story, even non-romance ones.

      Delete
  3. I don't think it was love that brought Anakin down. It was his attachment to Padme that brought him down (and his neediness, too), not love. You can't blame love :). It's the attachment that comes with love, not love itself.
    Love is selfless.
    Love is compassionate.
    Love is forgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. But Love leads to attachment, and that's the problem. :P Thanks for commenting :) You brought some ideas in my head.

      Delete