Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Alex Rider Series (and movie) by Anthony Horowitz REVIEW



SCREAM!!! HE IS SO CUTE!!!

Okay... I got that out... now I gotta start reviewing it. 

I have been wanting to read this book for awhile- ever since last year when my brother brought the final book. Back then, I was still on the roll with reading Star Wars books so I didn't read much of other books. Now I see what I'm missing. Seriously. Then, after I read Artemis Fowl, it pushed me to read this, since for some reason I always compared them together.

To put it simply, I loved Alex Rider. Otherwise I won't be reviewing it here, of course. Out of the forty or so books I already read this year, this is one of the few I'm reviewing. Heck, I didn't even review the Mortal Instruments and Divergent- I'm planning to do that with the movie like I am doing now. Looks like I have a new fandom. Again. I felt something close to what I felt with Percy Jackson.

Alex Rider is about a fourteen year old unwilling spy caught in deadly games. It's action packed and impossible to put down. It has shades of grey, unexpected turns, narrow escapes... and places where people really had to suffer. Like any other good books, it taught me something- that we all have a hero inside of us. Like Percy Jackson did. For something that couldn't speak, the message was loud enough to be etched into our hearts forever. 

Like Percy and Artemis, I fell in love with Alex from the very beginning. Even before I saw how cute he was. He's so unique, but he is relatable and he never gave up hope. Even when he's about to die, which is usually through the whole series. The way his character developed over the series was great to read about. Of course, he didn't get away unscathed, and that is what makes my heart reach out for him. Then I started shipping him with Sabina and so on... I can't tell more without spoilers. But I can tell you this: clear your schedules before you start reading. Make sure there's a box of tissues nearby so, in the end, you would have something to wipe a lake of tears on. The emotional level is like... Percabeth in Tatarus. I was like, "NO! IT WAS FAKED! (the character) CAN'T DIE!" Then in the end, Alex's response to it, and how he knelt on the remains, tore my heart out. I should probably mention that my granny died around the same time I read that, so I was experiencing... double-greif. Even though one is not even a real character. Oh, and there's also the humor. Even if it's about gruesome deaths. Or just witty speeches.

Another thing I liked about the series is the fact that every book has its own specific plot and still are connected as a series. If I end a book with a cliffhanger (though it did, once) I feel like dying. Fortunately, when there was this one cliffhanger I had the next book right next to me.

What I find funny is the fact that the whole adventure happened in only one year. There are things that aren't plausible, but of course there needs to be that if the story goes on. Besides, it is mentioned that Alex had the luck of a devil. There were times when I sighed inwardly and said, "Here we go again... Alex Rider off to save the day". But of course I can't wait to read it. 

Now for the movie. Operation: Stormbreaker.

The movie is an entirely different matter. Of course, the boy was cute. And Shena- you would be pleased to know- Ewan McGregor played for Ian Rider, Alex's uncle. I think you already knew, though. I, on the other hand, was screaming when I saw him.

I just finished the movie a few hours ago. I think the dialogue could be better. Sometimes it seems so fake. Sometimes, it's like The Lightning Thief  movie all over again. It was a great cast, a great story, and so on, but something was missing. There were many things changed, though not as much as TLF. Overall it was enjoyable, though.

That's it! I reviewed it in my most civilized manner. Now I have to go on and scream like a fangirl. Comment below- it makes my day!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting series- I've read some of Horowitz's other books before and he writes very well. Since you like this series, I would definitely recommend you read the "Gatekeepers series"(called The Power of Five series in the UK); they are really awesome and I think you'd enjoy them :)
    He IS?! YAY! :D I'll definitely watch the movie then, Ewan is the best! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) I'm planning to read it. Yep, watch it soon! :D

      Delete
  2. The name sounds familiar but I have never read it or heard anything else about, although it sounds cool. :)

    -James

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting. :)
    If you recommend it, I'll try it, if I can.... I'm still squee-ing over something else, and I really can't stop!

    ReplyDelete