Monday, July 29, 2013

Wolverine




I will try to keep this as spoiler free as possible, but consider yourself warned. Another thing, I am not good at reviewing movies, but here we go anyway.

Summary from IMDb: Summoned to Japan by an old acquaintance, Wolverine becomes embroiled in a conflict that forces him to confront his own demons.

To start off, I enjoyed to movie very much. I have not read the original comics, and therefore I cannot compare it with the movie. I do not know anything about the previous movies and hardly had any idea of the plot before I sat down and watched it. Yet, I understood the story perfectly. It could be a stand-alone movie.
The opening scene is probably the most awesome thing in there. I probably gasped aloud. And that plot twist at the end- woah. “I buried my grandfather” I knew there was something sinister going on, but I thought it was just the ramblings of a dying man.

All the action scenes are just amazing. I especially enjoyed the silent ninja fight, and the train fight seemed so realistic. However, nearing the end of the movie I couldn’t concentrate due to my full bladder and my unwillingness to get up. The drinks, popcorn, and first-class bed didn’t help either.

Yukio (played by Rila Fukuhima) has a lot of character depth. I had my doubts about her at first, but I can’t help but like her as the story progresses and more of her past is revealed. While she didn’t show any outward sign of hurt when she was said to be “just a toy”, I felt bad for her. Besides, you can’t help just liking girls that are badass.

On the other hand, I cannot feel for Wolverine himself at all. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed his character development immensely, but I just like characters I can relate to. The ending of the movie seems fitting to me- how he had finally come to peace- or as close to it as possible- with his own immortality. That raised a lot of questions in my head. As the Mortal Instruments books put it (sorry, I’m still not over the fact that City of Bones comes out so SOON), staying [young] forever sounds good until you really think about it.

As I said, I’m not much of a film critic, but I do have something to say about the focusing. Sometimes the keep focusing on the front and leaving the back blurred and switching it over and over that it makes me feel weird. On the other had, the action scenes were perfect. I don’t like too many shaking camera moments, and this one played out perfectly- shaking only on action scenes and such. Another thing I wish to have on the film is more humor… preferably ones that aren’t sexual. But the humor that is already in the film made me laugh well.

Overall, it’s a nice film to watch if you want something to enjoy. I really didn’t think about it much after leaving the theaters. However, the (spoiler) fate of the viper women is something to think about.


2 comments:

  1. Hopefully I will get to see it within the next few weeks, by the way, what are your thoughts on the other X-Men films?

    -James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look forward to your review then!
      I have not seen many other X-Men films, but from what I've seen, they are impressive.

      Delete